Service Desk Intern
Gain valuable hands-on experience for a career in technology.
DP Solutions is looking for a highly motivated ambitious student in computer science, business administration or a related field who seeks a hands-on internship in technology support.
The Service Desk Intern is responsible for assisting the Service Desk by both monitoring and managing incoming client requests so that they can be dispatched to the appropriate resource. The Service Desk Intern will handle first level support of service requests. This relates to all technology, to include workstations, basic server practices, printers, and basic network understanding. DP Solutions offers a dynamic learning environment for you to enhance and apply the skills that you have learned in the classroom.
The Service Desk Intern will work directly with the Client Experience Manager and Service Desk Coordinator, as well as work closely with members of the Service Desk Team. Mentoring sessions to coach and guide the intern’s projects and provide feedback will be held on a weekly basis. The Client Experience Manager will be readily available to provide support, guidance, feedback and answer questions as they come up.
The position will last for three to six months from the intern’s start date and available for either full- or part-time (minimum 24 hrs./week). This will be an unpaid internship; college credit can be provided.
How to assist clients with technical issues.
Basic IT support relating to Microsoft’s core business applications and operating systems.
- How to troubleshoot basic WAN and LAN connection issues.
- How to document system information in client relationship management (CRM) system, ConnectWise.
- How to provide weekly maintenance support to include confirmation of successful maintenance and escalation of environments in need of remediation.
- How to perform desktop/laptop deployments.
- How to perform Active Directory additions/changes/terminations.
- Learn CRM system (ConnectWise) and processes by completing training materials on the ConnectWise University.
- Training and understanding of basic firewalls and networking concepts.
- Gain an understanding of the importance of updating and documenting client tickets on a daily basis.
- Develop an understanding of operating systems, business applications, printing systems, and network systems.
- Develop diagnostic skills of technical issues.
- Answer Service Desk calls and create Service Desk tickets. Resolve when able, for first call resolution and or escalate as needed.
- Pre-process service requests as they arrive through email, manual entry, or direct customer input.
- Communicate with customers as required, keeping them informed of incident progress, notifying them of impending changes, and agreed outages.
- Properly assess and determine Level 1 computer errors and error messages along with the ability to initiate a good foundation of troubleshooting.
- Provide user reset assistance as needed.
- Monitor the remote monitoring and management system alerts and notifications, and respond accordingly through service tickets.
- Escalate service requests that cannot be scheduled within agreed service levels.
- Report the utilization of Support resources and successful completion of service requests to the Service Desk Manager.
- Enter all work as service tickets in ConnectWise.
- Use a set of pre-defined questions to obtain the correct level of knowledge needed to escalate to a senior technician for review and remediation.
- Provide delivery and “feet on the street” as requested and needed to support Service Desk & Cloud team.
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Knowledge of IT applications, processes, software and equipment
- Basic computer and operating system knowledge.
- Understand the basics of routers and firewalls.
- Basic understanding of Citrix clients. How they work, how to do basic troubleshooting, and escalation points during high visibility issues.
- Basic understanding of Terminal Servers. Troubleshooting, resetting passwords, and remediation of level one issues.
- Technical awareness: ability to match resources to technical issues appropriately.
- Awareness of all organization’s key services for which support is being provided.
- Understanding of support tools, techniques, and how technology is used to provide services.
- Typing skills to ensure quick and accurate entry of service request details.
We also expect the following attributes:
- Interpersonal skills: such as telephony skills, communication skills, active listening and customer-care.
- Ability to work in a team and communicate effectively.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changes quickly.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work in a fast moving environment.
- Excellent customer service skills, communication, and follow up skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Ability to handle details as well as big picture tasks.
Educational Experience Recommendations:
- Pursuing BA/BS, preferably in computer science, business administration or a related field.
- Full on the job training & support.
- Fun working environment and culture.
- Ability to work and learn with senior engineers.
- Approval for college credit (if needed)
- Great opportunity for advancement.
Only local candidates need apply.